Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fill me, Lord...I am dry...

Jer.18:3 So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. 4 But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.

Have you ever had "one of those days"? You know, one of those days where you feel like you don't have one more drop of energy left. Have you ever felt like if one more person asks one more thing of you you might just explode or fall out from exhaustion? I know I have and it's all too familiar to many as we live in a world of "what about me". With all the "what about me's" coming from every direction and demanding our full attention, the "me's" can pull all the energy you have right out.

Well, I had "one of those days" recently where I had been pouring and pouring out into people and I found myself on the phone with a friend and out of my mouth I say " I don't want to encourage one more person, I'm spent, I have nothing left to give... I am dry". Well those of you that know me would say that doesn't sound like you, you would never say that. I have to admit, even though I encouage people and do it so much that it's as natural as breathing there are times when I just have nothing left.

I know of a certain widow in the bible that knows what this feels like. She was down to her last drop of oil and flour, enough to make one cake for her and her son and die. That day the prophet came to visit. Little did she know that all she had was going to be asked of her in order for her to be filled. The prophet asked her to go and gather as many "vessels" as she could. So she gathered all the "vessels" and as she poured all she had into the first "vessel" the "oil" (of the Holy Spirit) kept coming. So she filled all the "vessels" she had and the "oil" stopped. The prophet then told her to go and sell all the oil and from the money she made she was able to live and her needs were all met.

Sometimes we don't understand all the reasons for doing what God asks but as we obey He always provides all we need and even an abundance. As my friend I was talking to plainly stated, we don't get to decide what kind of vessel we are, we are just asked to be a "vessel" that He can pour His "oil" through. As we pour out, not ourselves, but as we pour out the "oil" of the Holy Spirit on a hurting world we can be assured that He will fill us to overflowing so that He can reach every "vessel" within our reach.

Father,
I pray that I can be a vessel You can pour through. The world doesn't need nice words and empty promises filled with good intentions, they need You. Fill me, Lord ... I'm dry. Fill me with more of You, until all I give is You.

No comments:

Post a Comment